Sunday, June 28, 2015

Recent Buy - Compass Minerals International (CMP)

Wow three purchases in June. I think this is the first time I can remember making 3 purchases in a month since the beginning of my dividend growth journey. Usually I make 1 or 2 purchases but the money from the RAI merger along with the proceeds from my subsequent sale of RAI shares pushed me to an additional purchase this month! What to do with all this money? Put it to work for me!

Thanks to 'I Want To Retire Soon' and 'Dividend Empire' I recently discovered a gem of a company that most of you probably haven't heard of before and I like what I see. Compass Minerals International (CMP) has only been a publicly traded company since 2003 but it's true origins date back to the 1800's!

Compass Minerals International, Inc. is engaged in the business of producing minerals, including salt, sulfate of potash specialty fertilizer and magnesium chloride. It provides highway deicing salt to customers in North America and the United Kingdom and specialty fertilizer to growers and fertilizer distributors worldwide.

CMP has come down in price recently which has pushed the yield over 3% here. The dividend growth has been stellar with over 10 years of increases and a 5 year growth rate over 10%. EPS guidance looks strong and margins are expanding in the right direction.

I purchased 18 shares of CMP at $83.76.

CMP Stock Chart
CMP Basic Statistics
  • Ticker Symbol: CMP
  • P/E Ratio: 12.4
  • Sector: Materials
  • Yield: 3.2%
  • Dividend Growth Rate: 11%
  • Payout Ratio: 36%
  • Market cap: $2.83 Billion
  • Beta: .47
  • Morningstar Fair Value: $94
  • Value Line Target Price: $115
  • Website: http://www.compassminerals.com

CMP Dividend Growth

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention and welcome to the club! When it first came across my screener i was surprised to find few bloggers discussing it and i really liked what i saw.

    Congrats on the buy! I think this is a great month for purchases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, looks like Greece did buyers a favor here. Too bad I'm all tapped out of funds for the time being. I won't be making another purchase for a while now. Well see though.

      Delete
  2. CD,
    This one was new to me too when I saw it earlier. Good valuation at the moment, and not a bad balance sheet. I've added to my watch list.
    -RBD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya it's not a big name that for sure. Blue chip stocks are favored among dividend investors as they are viewed as safer investments for the most part but there are a few mid cap gems like CMP that would make a good addition to ones portfolio too.

      Delete
  3. Amazing stats. I have never heard of it but will definitely put it on my watchlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stats do look favorable and I love the fact that this company has been around for over 100 years and has been successful through thick and thin. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete