Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Recent Buy - Unilever (UL)

It's that time again where I make my monthly stock purchase. This time around I chose Unilever (UL). I made my purchase on Monday morning when the markets were in a free fall after some oil companies were downgraded and this allowed me to get in under the $40 mark I was shooting for. I also had my eye on XOM but ultimately went with Unilever since I believe there will be continued weakness in oil through 2015 and I think I have time to get in a bit cheaper in the coming months.

I purchased 30 more shares of UL at $39.33 giving me a total of 56 shares now.

Unilever PLC is a supplier of fast moving consumer goods. Its four principal areas of operations are: Personal Care, Home Care, Foods and Refreshment. A top maker of packaged consumer goods worldwide, Unilever products are sold in more than 190 countries throughout Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, North America, and Western Europe. The company's offerings span several categories, including savory, dressings, and spreads; ice cream and beverages; personal care; and home care. Unilever's portfolio boasts a dozen brands that each ring up more than $1 billion annually. Best sellers include Hellmann's (mayonnaise), Knorr (soups), Lipton (tea), Dove and Lux (soaps), and Sunsilk (hair care). Unilever is the operating arm of Netherlands-based Unilever N.V. and UK-based Unilever PLC.


Unilever Chart



Unilever Basic Statistics
  • Ticker Symbol: UL
  • PE Ratio: 17.51
  • Yield: 3.82%
  • Payout Ratio: 61%
  • Market cap: $118b
  • Beta: 0.93
  • Website: http://www.unilever.com


Unilever Dividend Growth Chart


19 comments:

  1. Can't complain about that purchase! I'll be looking to continue building my UL position through Loyal3. A great company with a wide range of products and brands that won't be going away any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't have said it better. They have great brands, several worth over $1 billion alone. I will continue to add on dips.

      Delete
  2. Nice buy, I bought at $39.95 on the 2nd. I had a gut feeling I would go down further in next few days but bought it anyway. Should have listen to my gut... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't worry too much , I think $40 is a fair price for a great company. The markets have been crazy this week. UL is already back over $40 just like that.

      Delete
  3. Nice purchase! A great company that hopefully we will both become shareholders of in the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to having you on team Unilever. :-o

      Delete
  4. Captain,

    Nice move. Really like UL at this valuation. I have 100 shares after loading up over the last few months, so that's probably it for a while. Glad to be a fellow shareholder. :)

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100 shares sound nice ! I'm a little over 1/2 way there and looking to add on dips. I saw your post about your Unilever purchase recently and I have to admit it raised my desire to buy again. Keep up the great work DM.

      Delete
  5. Under $40 for UL is a nice buy Captain. UL is on my watch list and I hope to be a fellow shareholder soon. Keep up the good work. AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the very least I think it's a fair price here at around $40. Thanks for stopping by and congrats on your VZ purchase, I've noticed a few other bloggers buying VZ as well.

      Delete
  6. Great purchase, CD, Welcome to the UL owners club.

    I'm already at 120 shares with a cost basis around $39.60 so I didn't want to pour any more capital in at these levels. If I had fewer shares I would have in a heartbeat, and did FRIP a couple shares around $39 on Tuesday.

    Best,
    DWC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warm welcome, I forgot to mention that I already owned some shares (now edited in) but this more than doubles my stake now. My average is cost basis just a tad lower than yours so I'm in good company.

      Delete
  7. Love the UL buy. It is one of my January stock considerations. Anything around $40 or below is a nice entry point. Good current yield too to be paid to wait. Happy to be a fellow shareholder with you and I may buy more before the month is over. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting tough to find value in the markets outside of big oil but there always seems to be a few options for us. I don't think you can go wrong with UL around $40. I'll be watching to see if you manage to pull the trigger this month.

      Delete
  8. Great purchase. I would like to buy the UK share, to diversify in currency.

    Best wishes,
    CZD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope to have you on the team soon. I'm think I'm stuck buying the ADR shares for the tax benefits here in the USA. I'm not sure how that works in your neck of the woods. Spain right ?

      CD

      Delete
  9. Captain Dividend,

    Unilever certainly has been going around in the DGI community these past few weeks! Not without good reason, of course. Who doesn't like a well-run business with a wide range of extremely good performing products?

    Glad to be a fellow shareholder,
    NMW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unilever seems to be a hot stock in the dividend community the past few months. Question, if you could only hold one position today would it be PG or UL?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's refreshing to read a review of a dessert that has the captain divid end recent-buy-unilever, great value, and delicious taste.

    ReplyDelete