Monday, November 25, 2013

Recent Buy - Kraft (KRFT)

Today I decided to open a position in the food giant Kraft. I purchased 21 shares @ $52.74. I've had Kraft on a short list of potential buys and selected it for one of my monthly purchases. Typically I try to invest in stocks with a history of dividend growth over many years but I think Kraft has the makings of a future dividend champion. This purchase has pushed me past the $50,000 portfolio mark for the first time as well.

Kraft Foods Group, Inc. (Kraft Foods Group) operates food and beverage businesses in North America. The Company manufactures and markets food and beverage products, including convenient meals, refreshment beverages and coffee, cheese and other grocery products, in the United States and Canada, under a stable of iconic brands. Its product categories span breakfast, lunch and dinner meal occasions, both at home and in foodservice locations. The Company sells its products to supermarket chains, wholesalers, supercenters, club stores, mass merchandisers, distributors, convenience stores, drug stores, gasoline stations, value stores and other retail food outlets in the United States and Canada.


KRFT Basic Statistics

  • Ticker Symbol: KRFT
  • PE Ratio: 17.02
  • Yield: 4%
  • Dividend Growth 10yr: 6.4%
  • Payout Ratio: 48%
  • Market cap: $31 B
  • Website: http://www.kraftfoodsgroup.com

Dividend Growth Rate

14 comments:

  1. I have been toying with the idea of picking up more food-related stocks as well. KRFT has better fundamentals than PEP, KO etc. Good buy, CD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what ya mean. There will always be a demand for food. Kraft makes a lot of junk food so it's a great play for North America. I would have loved to buy more GIS but it's quite high right now so I'll have to wait on that one.

      Delete
    2. PEP and KO there is some risk with the soda taxes that are being proposed in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and sales.

      Delete
  2. Didn't Buffett recently invest in Kraft? Or am I mistaking it with some other purchase? Nevertheless I like the company. And the yield is very nice as well as the growth. Nice buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know Mr. Buffet has been selling his KRFT shares. I'm not sure why of course but the tracker I've seen shows he 'only' has a couple hundred thousand shares left.

      Delete
  3. I think the growth at Kraft will be slow, but reasonably consistent. Every position does not have to be high growth for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's perfectly fine with me. As far as stock price appreciation goes I'd prefer slow steady growth since it keeps my future purchases from costing too much. If a stock skyrockets too fast I'm tempted to sell for a capital gain but I try not to do that since I'm in it for the long haul.

      Delete
  4. Captain,

    Congrats on crossing the $50k mark! That's awesome. :)

    KRFT looks good here. Not expensive, not cheap. The growth is likely to be in the mid-single digits, and the entry yield is attractive. A very defensive investment that should serve you well.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DM, I try not to pay too much attention to the value of my portfolio because the market can change that in a hurry but it's a nice milestone for sure.

      About KRFT, I know what you mean. It's hard to get a sure fire homerun these days but I'm happy with my entry here.

      Delete
  5. I purchased some GIS last week even though it's not exactly a steal. Although I do feel it's a decent buy where I was able to purchase, obviously I'd love to get it cheaper though. KRFT looks solid. I've been looking at some more defensive names as a lot of the higher growth DG companies out there aren't exactly cheap. I'd still like to get some PEP but it needs to come down some in price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have loved to scoop up some more GIS as well. It's been one of my best performers in terms of stock price appreciation. Darn this market ! I'll have to wait for a correction.

      Delete
  6. This is an interesting article. I have been in the tax business for years and I love it. It can be hard starting a tax business and becoming an entrepreneur. If this is a desire of yours and starting your own free tax Preparationbusiness is something you would like to do then it is very crucial to talk to an experienced tax preparation business because they can help you manage and marketing your company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At this moment , It is a graceful and informational website about financial market.It is a very useful for us. So, I like it very much. Many many thanks for make this website. If you want more informastion about stock watch to visit stock watch Keeping a stock watch list can be a critical for a trader. There are many different reasons why statement is true. First things first, what exactly is a stock watch list? This is a list of stocks that you feel are good strong companies for whatever reason. It may be that these companies have strong earnings and the company itself is a good investment.

    ReplyDelete