Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Down But Not Out !

It looks like I'm going to have to take a break from dividend investments this month unfortunately. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and burdens us with unexpected expenses and this month was one such occasion for me.

I took my car up for an inspection so I could renew my license plate tags but my beloved 2002 Ford Focus hatchback failed miserably. I actually knew it was going to fail because the check engine light was on and I suspected a bad fuel pump from the code reader I tested it with. Well they did change the fuel pump but that didn't fix the issue so now we have to do more work. On top of that it failed a safety inspection because the rack and pinion was leaking from three spots. I replaced that as well. So now I'm down about $1700 and my car still needs work. Arrgh !

Anyway I don't think I will be making a purchase here for at least a few weeks as a result of my surprise expenses so it may be quiet around here. In the mean time I will still be watching out for good deals in the market and it looks like we may have more and more if the market keeps dropping.

If anyone wants to write a guest post in the mean time, hit me up at captaindividend@hotmail.com !

17 comments:

  1. Don't worry Captain. There is always another day/week/month. Shit happens and we just gotta deal with it. Keep on hustling and don't stop. Take care bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I was looking forward to my next purchase but hit this road bump. If I'm lucky the market will tank while I wait. :-0

      Delete
  2. Sometimes, life gets in the way of investing. Totally, normal and happens to each of us. Better take care of your ride and look forward to investing towards the end of '16.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, there's a lot worse things that can happen to keep us on the sidelines. At least it's not medical expenses or something like that. As Arnold said 'I'll be back'!

      Delete
  3. Sorry for the bad break Captain.

    Life always shakes us up when we get in a pattern. $1700 is a lot for repairs. Hope you get it fixed and back on the dividend train soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it's an old car so it was due for some work but I've replaced so much on the darn care over the years it seems like it should be a brand new car at this point. Can't wait to get back at it.

      Delete
  4. I realize this is not a personal finance blog, but shouldn't something like an unexpected $1,700 expense come out of an emergency fund? If so, I don't see how that could effect regular investing which I assume you do via payroll?

    Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it kinda did come from that, but now I'd like to refund that 'emergency fund' so that will take a few weeks.

      Delete
  5. CD -

    Two words - screw cars. If you put more than $1,700 after it's all said and done - make sure you get more than 12 months for sure out of the repairs!!

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to ask them about a warranty on the work. I'd sure like to get a lot more than 12 months out of a rack and pinion though! Thanks

      Delete
  6. Sucky deal, how are you getting to work in the meantime? This might be an opportunity to get alternate transportation going (ie. biking) and make yourself less reliant on the car in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still driving my car, the repairs are mostly done but I need them to diagnose a check engine light still, so I'll drop it off over the weekend some time. I have been biking to and from the auto shop though. It's just up the street from me so it's not much cardio.

      Delete
  7. That sucks DC. How many miles do you have? Are you going to pay for repairs or buy a new or lightly used car?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your car... just make sure the benefits of all those repairs outweigh the benefits of getting another car. It's not worth the headache if you constantly have to keep shelling out money to get your car fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I agree with the rest. It is still cheaper than buying a new car. You are well over 10 years so hopefully this doesn't become normal. My last car was 12 years old and had almost every light on when I sold it.
    Good luck,
    DFG

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super sorry to hear that Capt Dividend. Although you have this setback, it's only temporary. And sometimes these curveballs can be a blessing in disguise. Good luck man. I'm sure you'll get back on track soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes you gotta take a break CD and just catch up in life. You'll be back to your old self before you know it. :)

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete