Thursday, January 14, 2016

Recent Purchase - Johnson & Johnson (JNJ)

It's not often I have money to make purchases two weeks in a row but it happened again. After my recent purchase of Flowers Foods I had my eye on a few other names including Consolidated Edison (ED), and Compass Minerals (CMP) but I ultimately choose Johnson & Johnson.

I am partial to Utilities, for the safety they offer and I plan on adding to my utility holdings but I think ED is a bit too pricey here. CMP on the other hand is quite cheap but it could go lower with above normal winter temperatures persisting. However I thought JNJ was at a pretty fair price here so I pulled the trigger.

I purchased another 12 shares @ $97.50 - $1170

JNJ Stock Chart

JNJ Basic Statistics
  • Ticker Symbol: JNJ
  • Sector: Healthcare
  • Yield: 3.06%
  • Dividend Streak: 53 years
  • Dividend Growth 1yr: 6.9%
  • Annualized Dividend Growth 3yr: 7.1%
  • Payout Ratio: 55%
  • P/E Ratio: 15.4
  • Market cap:$273 Billion
  • Website: http://www.jnj.com


JNJ Dividend Growth Chart


15 comments:

  1. I like JNJ here as well and just wish I had some cash ready to invest. There's actually quite a bit of value that I'm able to find across many different sectors. Unfortunately most of them are slightly lower yielders than I prefer but 2.5%+ is still a good spot for many of them. JNJ looks good with the 3% yield and PEP is looking really good here too back down below $96.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's never enough money to buy all the stocks we want is there. :-o
      I try and stay above 2.5% myself and with the markets taking a beating those yields keep rising little by little here lately.

      Delete
  2. Hey copycat! :) Nice buy! Congrats on the solid addition!

    -Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what they say about great minds ...
      Thanks for stopping by Adam

      Delete
  3. What's not to like about JNJ. As blue as any blue chip. Solid buy. Conservative and no doubt will continue to offer growing dividends going forward. JNJ under $100 starts to get the attention of many DGI bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those buy and hold forever stocks in my book. Good steady earnings growth, AAA credit rating, nice yield coupled with steady dividend growth around 7% here. Not much not to like.

      Delete
  4. Solid buy! I'm a fan obviously of JNJ having just picked up a few shares myself. They offer a decent value right now and a solid holding no matter what the rest of the market is doing. A 50+ year streak of increasing dividends is certainly impressive. I'll have to check out Flower Foods, I don't know much about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JNJ is definitely on my hit list ;-) I just bought KO and T. Wanted KO for a long time and finally pulled the trigger with IRA monies. JNJ will soon be added but I want to have money on hand when Oil eventually gets to anything looking like a bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CD,

    Love JNJ. Good old "reliable" as we like to call it. Nice purchase price, great yield and great growth. Congrats CD, enjoy it!

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great purchase. I bought in at $100 a few months ago and im highly considering averaging down now that its at low 90s

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great buy. Can't really go wrong with JNP especially considering the current discount.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So jealous! Anytime JNJ is under $100 I'm itching to buy. I just didn't have the funds at the time. Glad you got in under $100.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JNJ less than $100 is a great buy. Unfortunately today it is back up over $103! I'm really liking the healthcare industry now and for the future. Biotechs have taken a beating lately so stocks like Gilead (GILD) are definitely on my radar. I'm relatively overweighted in information technology so could stand to diversify into more biotech/ healthcare stocks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cant go wrong buying JNJ at these prices. Congrats on adding to your portfolio

    R2R

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent choice. I would like to have liquidity to add it to my portfolio.

    ReplyDelete