Tuesday, December 8, 2015

November Dividend Update

I finally got around to posting my November dividend update. Some of the delay was due to setting up my new computer which has been a bit of a pain but finally got it going more or less. In November the markets have been under some volatility partially due to falling commodity prices with oil leading the way down but we ended up being pretty flat for the month.

My dividend total for the month of November was $336.79 which is a 40% improvement over last year and a 9% increase from last quarter. I've made no purchases that paid this month so the reason for the big increase from last quarter was because Kraft/Heinz has moved their dividend from October to November. Without that my income would have been 1% higher QoQ due to dividend increases alone. My dividend income is listed below.

It should be noted that I have sold my shares in KMI in order to do some tax loss harvesting. As you probably know KMI has been under extraordinary selling pressure and management even decided to cut the dividend today after hours a whopping 75%. I certainly got this one wrong, and I planned on holding KMI for a long long time but as Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth" and I certainly felt like I took one on the chin here. With the proceeds of the sale I added to my stake in AT&T. I expect next quarters total to be a bit lower as a result. Stay tuned!

November Purchases
  • New Jersey Resources (NJR) - 355 Shares @ $29.70
November Dividend Increases
  • Tompkins Financial (TMP) - From .42 to .44 (+4.7 %)
  • Kraft Heinz (KHC) - From .55 to .575 (+4.5%)
  • Kinder Morgan (KMI) - From .49 to .51 (+4%)
November Dividend Income
  • AT&T (T) - $78.96
  • General Mills - (GIS) - $34.32
  • WGL Holdings (WGL) - $30.53
  • Clorox (CLX) - $14.63
  • Kinder Morgan (KMI) - $63.24
  • Realty Income (O) - $19.05
  • Proctor & Gamble (PG) - $22.54
  • People's United Financial (PBCT) - $37.35
  • Kraft Heinz (KHC) - $24.73
  • Tompkins Financial (TMP) - $11.44
Total Dividends November 2015: - $336.79


16 comments:

  1. Nice month Captain...looks like we will both take a hit on our February dividends with today's announcement by KMI that they will cut their dividends 75%. I understand the move was necessary to stay out keep them out of "junk" rating status but for those of us who bought KMI for the dividends, the move does sting a bit.

    Looks like you have a nice counter to the future dividend loss through your recent purchase of NJR....Wow! over $20K in capital put to work in one month is amazing! Curious why you didn't choose to spread that capital out into 3-5 different companies?

    Thanks for sharing the update. Best wishes and continued success my friend. AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woops, looks like I copied the wrong price there hah. It was about $10000 though. I sold my stake in PNY and added another $1000 on top of it and used the proceeds to buy NJR. NJR is more than a full position now so I wont be adding to it for a while at least.

      It'll be interesting to see how KMI reacts to the news in the coming days. The only reason I didn't spread it out was to conserve my commissions. Thanks for stopping by and noticing my error. :-o

      Delete
  2. Keep it up Captain. You're doing awesome. Don't stop and keep the momentum going alright bud. You're gonna rip shiet up!!
    Cheers to our amazing journey. Thanks for sharing my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! Shame about what happened to KMI but T is a solid stock to put into. Ive been looking to average down for a while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all happened so quickly, it's really shocking to see that happen to such a big company. To go from expecting 10% YOY dividend growth to a 75% cut is really sobering.

      Delete
  4. Good job captain. Look at your aggressively growing dividend graph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love a graph like that. It helps me really see the growth over time rather than just looking at numbers and percentages. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Awesome record breaking month Captain. There YoY and QoQ are stellar too, you are doing it bud!

    Shame what happened to KMI, so unexpected how quickly things went from nice dividend increase to dividend reduction. All I have left to say to that is wtf...

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it had a lot of investors saying WTF, to fall so far so fast is shocking. Maybe they can pull things together now but they have lost a lot of investor trust.

      Delete
  6. Looks great Captain. It sucks on the KMI dividend cut but at least they didn't suspend dividend completely. I think many DGI's are in the same boat when it comes to KMI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya even with a 75% cut the stock still yields over 3%, that's crazy.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Ben, it would be something if I could keep that kind of growth up for years but I doubt it. The growth in absolute terms should accelerate though even if the overall % drops. Take care.

      Delete
  8. Always nice to read these income updates. Solid results to say the least and a new company that I am not familiar with as well, PBCT. So far I have only read about 2 KMI sales among our DGI community. Most it seems are sticking with KMI and even plan to add more. Look forward to seeing how 2015 will close out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I've seen a few people selling and some holding steady. I think everyone was left scratching their heads on what to do though. Since I had a big capital gain on the PNY shares I sold I figured I'd lessen my tax burden by selling here. I can always purchase more in 30 days if I choose to. Well see.

      Delete