Monday, December 1, 2014

Recent Buys From Fellow Dividend Investors (November)

It's been a while since I did my last roundup of recent stock purchases from fellow bloggers so I thought now was a good time to do another especially after Dividend Elephant reminded me about it. I figured that this time around would be particularly interesting with energy stocks reaching some attractive valuations. This time around I tracked recent purchases from 31 other dividend growth bloggers for the past month or so. Most of these bloggers can be found in my blogroll or my blog list in my right sidebar. There were dozens of purchases made and I have omitted stocks with only a single purchase. You can see the results below.






Above you can see the number of bloggers who have purchased each stock since November 1st. Multiple purchases from the same blogger are not represented.

   Without knowing anything more than just looking at this chart one might guess that something has caused energy stocks to take a beating. Clearly the price of oil dropping and the recent OPEC decision to continue oil production going has caused some weakness in the sector at least temporarily. Many investors are seeing value in oil stocks like COP, CVX and BP. This is the third roundup I've done so far and usually there is one stock that stands out but this time BBL really is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of buys recently. Investors like Dividend Mantra, Write Your Own Reality, Pollie's Dividend and Lanny at Dividend Diplomats all saw value here. I made a blog post back in August about the Top 40 Stocks held by dividend growth investors and BBL was at the very bottom of the list back then. I think that list would look quite a bit different if I did it again today.

   At the top of my last roundup was ARCP, TGT and AFL and it looks like all but TGT made the list again this time around. Also missing from this months list is KMI, GE, CLX and PG.

For more information about recent buys be sure to visit A Frugal Family's Journey for a more comprehensive list which also helped me put this together.


Full Disclosure: I currently own shares of UL, CVX, KRFT, KO, PEP, and WMT.

22 comments:

  1. Interesting analysis. Majority of investors goes where the weakness is and rightfully so with recent oil prices. Love this update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I just hope to see continued weakness at least until I have the money for my next purchase.

      Delete
  2. I am actually surprised with XOM and CVX, I am expecting more people are buying. But there is no surprise on BBL for sure as the clear winner among DG investors. Thanks for sharing Captain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know both stocks are on the radars of many bloggers but it seems with so many choices in energy the buys seem to be a bit spread out. There's six energy stocks that made the list plus with all of the BBL purchases it may have left some short on capital to make additional purchases.

      Delete
  3. BBL sure has been popular with everyone. Its good value at these levels and will do well for most long term holders.

    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure has, it would be interesting to do a strictly Canadian survey. I bet BNS would be near the top of that list as well.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for providing this data Captain! I made buys in 5 of the top 6 stocks you listed, the exception being IBM. It's good to see others in our community sharing ideas and making similar decisions. BBL has been the train to jump on the past few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , I did notice you've been very busy. It looks like you had 7 of 8 stocks on the list with the exception being TGT. Nice work.

      Delete
  5. I was wondering when you'd make another of these posts, very glad you were reminded! I agree with the community on most of these tickers and more than anything I want more capital to make purchases!

    Wishing you the best,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I hear you there. Maybe Santa will be good to us this year and leave us a nice lump of cash to help us out!

      Delete
  6. BBL topping the list is no surprise, many dividend blogs have had BBL as their top purchases, mine included. Thanks for the update.
    Mr.StockFox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if BBL was at the top next month as well. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I love you analysis! I finally just bought more BBL as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post and chart CD. BBL definitely came across everyone's radar this past month. We also grabbed a few more shares to add to our family portfolio as well.

    BTW, thanks for the mention. AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post, thanks! I hope BBL and the other oil stocks stay low a bit longer. I'd like to keep adding to them for as long as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely have been seeing lots buys for BBL lately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ebbs and flows of stock market investing. It's always interesting to see where others are piling in and how it changes over time. Value begets investment. Two names are in the list from my November buys, BNS and KRFT. Thanks for sharing this list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting chart. BBL has been the hot stock in the community recently and many investors, including Lanny, have initiated or re-upped a position. Same goes for IBM, as I took the recent downturn as an opportunity to buy 3 shares. I am very surprised that no investors have purchased Shell considering the drop in oil stocks. It is a similar company to BP in my eyes and the one glaring difference is that Shell had a much lower payout ratio. Based on that, I figured there would be a few that pulled the trigger.

    Thanks for taking the time to put the list together!
    Bert, one of the Dividend Diplomats

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting and useful analysis! I am guilty myself of adding to BNS and UL. I don't find it surprising that the purchases of most dividend investors tend to overlap as we all look for the same kind of value.

    Thanks for Sharing!
    DividendVenture

    ReplyDelete
  14. I own stock in all the companies that you have mentioned, I own some shares of BP, maybe will think about getting into CVX, COP, and XOM after all the drama subsides, and buy the dip. Good read

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice information. BBL has been a popular stock in the last couple of months. I also initiated position in BBL few weeks back and have been adding to it each week. The price has gone down in the meantime and using this opportunity to add more at lower prices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list, thanks for sharing. I am happy to see that BBL was a hot item in December. I picked up BBL in January, and I am happy so far.

    ReplyDelete