Monday, October 27, 2014

Recent Buy - Unilever

It's that time again where I make my monthly stock purchase. This time around I chose Unilever (UL). The markets had really been in a free fall for the last week or two but I never had the funds available to make a purchase till now. A bunch of stocks were looking cheap or at least cheaper. I had my eye on a few stocks including T, GSK, GE and ARCP to name a few but the markets started to recover and I thought I may miss out on some good deals.

Then Unilever posted earnings and the market didn't like what it heard citing slowing growth. Unilever got slammed pretty hard for a couple of days and I watched the price drop from over $41 to under $39. My brokerage account now had sufficient funds to make my minimum purchase so I placed my order.

I purchased 26 shares of UL at $39.09

A top maker of packaged consumer goods worldwide, Unilever products are sold in more than 190 countries throughout Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, North America, and Western Europe. The company's offerings span several categories, including savory, dressings, and spreads; ice cream and beverages; personal care; and home care. Unilever's portfolio boasts a dozen brands that each ring up more than €1 billion annually. Best sellers include Hellmann's (mayonnaise), Knorr (soups), Lipton (tea), Dove and Lux (soaps), and Sunsilk (hair care). Unilever is the operating arm of Netherlands-based Unilever N.V. and UK-based Unilever PLC.

 
UL Stock Chart




 UL Basic Statistics

  • Ticker Symbol: UL
  • PE Ratio: 17.15
  • Yield: 3.88%
  • Payout Ratio: 61%
  • Market cap: $112b
  • Beta: 0.88
  • Website: http://www.unilever.com


UL Dividend Growth

21 comments:

  1. Congrats on this great purchase. I'm with you on this one and have been adding UL to my L3 account and hope it stays around these prices a while longer because the 3.8% yield is mighty excellent. I feel your pain, it was so sad to see GE and a few others recover so quickly. Let's hope for more volatility, but only when we have the capital :)

    Best Wishes,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to join you on the Unilever team! It sure looks like this dip is over now with the DOW sitting over 17k again.

      Delete
  2. Nice purchase Captain! I have been accumulating shares of UL in my Loyal3 account, with approximately half of my shares coming in this month. The dip back down under $40 presented a solid opportunity, and I'll likely pick up more shares over the next few weeks should the price stay depressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when you can average down in a great company like Unilever. I don't know how much longer well stay below $40, I'm glad I was able to pick up some shares on the cheap.

      Delete
  3. Nice buy Captain...UL under $40 is very nice. We've been watching UL for awhile now and it is definitely on our radar for an upcoming purchase. :)

    Thanks for sharing your buy...Best wishes and continued success! AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's on a lot of minds recently at this price, I've seen a few other buying Unilever as well. Don't know how long the fire sale is gonna last though.

      Delete
  4. I like both the stock and products of Unilever. I am long UL and also looking to buy more shares this week. Nice buy right before the ex -div date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not too much to dislike here really. The company is still growing, has a diversified portfolio of billion dollar brands and with the recent dip were seeing an attractive entry yield of 3.8% ! Thanks for stopping by DM

      Delete
  5. Nice pickup! I bought UL last friday. Great company!

    Cheers from Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to join you as a fellow stock holder ! :-)

      Delete
  6. Nice purchase, really like UL. I need to add UL in our portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be a nice fit there right along with PG. Your portfolio is looking nice.

      CD

      Delete
  7. Captain,

    Great buy. Recently picked up shares myself. I hope to get a chance to average down! :)

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DM, ya I'm really happy with the price right around $39. I hope you get a chance to grab some more shares on the cheap in November. Remember the ex-div date is on the 5th I believe if you wanna get in before that.

      Delete
  8. Are you reading my mind? I just posted my recent stock purchase today and what was it... UL of course. I think everyone started looking at UL once the price dropped below $40. Solid buy and a complement to my PG in my portfolio. Thanks for sharing your recent buy with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you know what they say about great minds! I've had my eye on Unilever for a long time now and I've been hoping for a pullback. Love your blog by the way.

      Delete
  9. Nice purchase Captain. I initiated position in Unilever too last week, though I purchased UN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news, I think we both made the right choice. Is there a reason why you chose UN over UL ? Personally I like to avoid any extra tax complications and UL seemed to be in that vain.

      Best of luck,
      CD

      Delete
  10. Great purchase Captain!

    I have just increased my stake Unilever at a very similar price to yours. Definitely a great buy. I think after this quick market recovery, Unilever still offers great value.

    Best Wishes,
    DividendVenture

    ReplyDelete
  11. Captain,

    Nice buy! I have been wanting to join in as a shareholder in Unilever for sometime, but haven't been able to do it yet. Good work!

    I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Captain

    Great purchase, I am a UK holder of Unilever, and love the quarterly dividend payments.

    Just a quick note that your second graph seems to show a big drop in dividends in the 2000's but I think this may be due to change from two payments per year to four.

    Best Wishes
    FI UK

    ReplyDelete