Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Recent Buy - Chevron (CVX)

Recently added to my position in Chevron. I purchased another 9 shares at $120.90 giving me a total of 19 shares. The stock has been dropping a little recently from the $125 range on some earnings and productivity concerns and in this market I'm happy to grab up some cheaper shares on those dips. Chevron has increased its dividend for 26 consecutive years, making it a dividend champion, i.e. more than 24 years of consecutive increases. It's strong companies that have a serious commitment to their dividend that I strive to hold in my portfolio and I think Chevron exemplifies that.

Chevron is involved in virtually every facet of the energy industry. From exploration to production and transportation of crude oil and natural gas as well as refining , marketing and distribution of transportation fuels and lubricants. Chevron generates power, produces geothermal energy, provides renewable energy, manufactures and sells petrochemical products and energy efficiency solutions.



CVX Basic Statistics

  • Ticker Symbol: CVX
  • PE Ratio: 9.78
  • Yield: 3.3%
  • Dividend Growth 10yr:  9.6%
  • Payout Ratio: 31%
  • Market cap: $230 B
  • Website: http://www.chevron.com

16 comments:

  1. CVX is very much a buy at theses level. Good pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to grab up some cheap shares no doubt. It's like using a coupon to buy right now.

      Delete
  2. I agree and added a little to my position today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post CD. I almost added to my Chevron stake, but didn't for some reason. My plan is to add to it when either WTI crude gets to $85 or we finally get the broad market sell off, which has been taking it's sweet time. Both will happen eventually, but CVX has been in my portfolio since 2008 and it's been a winner.
    -Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya FW, were due for some sort of correction sooner or later. Personally I've never been good at timing the markets so I just buy every month when I have the capital ready. Luckily we can get in cheap here because of the recent outlook.

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to add to CVX as well and they're high on my list of candidates to purchase. TGT is another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TGT is high on a lot of DGI's lists these days. I may have to add that one of these days as well.

      Delete
  5. I added more CVX this week and it's right around a full position. I'm getting really heavy on the energy sector in general but there seems to be so much value there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to seize those opportunities and take advantage of those values when you can. I'm seriously thinking about buying more CVX for next months purchase if the stock continues down towards testing those $116 levels again. Even if it makes me heavy in energy I really don't care too much, I figure my portfolio will rebalance with future purchases.

      Delete
  6. Very good buy, captain.
    I am also having Chevron on my watchlist - I am thinking of a buy in early February - have to wait for new capital first...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you'll regret it RR. CVX is one to hold on to for life.

      Delete
  7. At Chevron, you can always sleep well, no matter how they moved the course!
    In the next 12 month I think I´ll buy also CVX :-)

    regards!
    D-S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no such thing as a no risk stock, CVX is certainly hurt by falling crude prices for instance. However they are poised for continued growth , have a strong balance sheet, growing dividend, and share buy backs are nice as well. Long CVX !

      Delete
  8. Nice buy. I am looking for adding this stock to my portfolio, but before I started selling some puts to lower my cost basis before purchasing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a rely cheaply priced stock, hmm P/E 9.06, P/B 1.48 and ROE 17.09
    Analyst ratings 6 buy , 2 Moderate Buy and 4 Hold
    Numbers look good! have to take a closer look at this one :)
    Regards!

    ReplyDelete