Sunday, January 15, 2017

December 2016 Dividend Income Update

It's time for my December dividend update! I'm a bit late posting my results as I've become quite lazy with my blog and suffering from a bit of burnout to be honest. I don't know how much longer I will continue posting if it keeps feeling more like a chore than a rewarding experience. Well see how it goes.

Anyway my income for the month of December was $376.56, this is a bit lower than last quarter due to Pepsi not paying this month. Pepsi has an odd payment schedule where their last payment for the year actually falls in early January. 

In other news I received my first dividend payment from Fundrise of $20.03 (prorated) which boils down to an 11.25% yield before taxes. Unfortunately with Fundrise the dividends are not automatically reinvested and instead go into your bank account. I have also made over $800 'working' online this month (nothing related to blogging) most of which will be reinvested in dividend stocks.

December Dividend Increases
  • McDonalds (MCD) - From .89 to .94 (+5.6%)
  • Universal Health Trust (UHT) - From .65 to .655 (+.7%)
December Dividend Income
  • Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) - $48.80
  • Unilever (UL) - $19.86
  • Exxon (XOM) - $51.00
  • Compass Minerals (CMP) - $22.24
  • Cullen Frost Bank (CFR) - $9.72
  • Travelers (TRV) - $8.04
  • Avista (AVA) - $19.87
  • McDonalds (MCD) - $32.90
  • Coke (KO) - $21.35
  • Kraft/Heinz (KHC) - $25.80
  • Flowers Foods (FLO) - $74.40
  • Universal Health Trust (UHT) - $32.75
  • Powershares Muni Bond ETF (PZA) - $9.83
Total Dividends December 2016: - $376.56

In the chart below you can see my dividend growth, you will notice in the past 6 months my income has been reduced slightly, that was due to my sale of Realty Income. I used the proceeds to pay off my mortgage and I have now started to reinvest in Realty Income again (this time in a Roth IRA tax advantaged account ).



24 comments:

  1. Captain -

    There you go! I do wish you keep writing, love having you a part of this community, but whichever you prefer as that obviously works with you. Great job on the div income and that's fairly impressive online income - almost $1K, well when you combine div income and online income you're at $1.2K!!!

    KEEP GOING!!!

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lanny, I don't expect the online income to continue but it was cool while it lasted. I can't wait to put some of that money to work for me though.

      Delete
  2. Great end to the year Captain. I love reading these dividend updates. We're all racing towards the same goal, and seeing everyone's progress keeps me motivated to stay the course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CD,

    Hope you keep posting as well, but I cant imagine posting for as many years as you have. I found it difficult to do it for the entire first year but set a different goal for 2017 which I hope to reach. Also, glad to see you have received dividends from Fundrise as I have also been receiving dividends from them and just recently included it in my portfolio.

    -TDM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, what Fundrise fund did you choose? I opted for the income eREIT which is around an 11.25% yield I think.

      Delete
  4. I totally understand the burnout. I had that happen for a few months. Back on the bandwagon now though. Just give it some time, step back, see what you really want to write about. Hopefully that helps :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good. Keep going forward and don't quit blogging

    ReplyDelete
  6. As others have commented I'd hate to see this site enter the blog graveyard. We have enough of those already as people have come and gone over the years. If I can provide some incentive to continue know that I do check your blog regularly for new posts. Great results for the month of Dec. I see TRV listed there which is still on my watch list. For now I'm focused on my current holdings. Keep the investing and blog going. Thanks for introducing me to Fundrise. Never heard of that real estate investing service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually surprised how many people visit my blog, there are so many other blogs which far more content than my simple blog but I am happy I can offer what I can.
      There are some other companies similar to Fundrise like "Patch Of Land" or "Realty Mogul" but most require accredited investors.

      Delete
  7. It's a shame you're feeling burnt out. I hope you can find the time to continue with the blog.
    Your dividend income in December isn't too bad. You should still be happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate these updates too. Always fun to read, though I completely understand burn out. It's especially hard around the holidays to keep updating. Hang in there, but remember that even if you take a break your dividends will keep working for you.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, what are your thoughts about Fundrise? Hadn't heard about that too much before. If you're looking for things to write about, a post talking about your experience with that would be very welcomed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there Captain!

    I love reading your updates so please reconsider. The picture of your alter-ego always makes me smile :)

    Cheers,
    MG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah I'm glad you like it, if I posted a picture of myself it would probably have the opposite effect!

      Delete
  11. Great job Captain! Still wish you wouldn't have paid off your mortgage! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy to have that burden behind me. I think it all boils down to my type of personality though. I'm just more comfortable without that debt. I can see the other side though, especially with the low interest rate I was afforded. Thanks for the visit PIP!

      Delete
  12. Don't let the burnout stop your updates, loving reading them since I recently discovered the path of dividend investing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you continue to post - its great info. Congrats on another month of great passive income. I included your update in my monthly tracker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sure hope you continue posting. Always enjoy reading other DGI's dividend income update. Congrats on a solid year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Captain,
    Another plus vote for continuing to post, but only if it aligns with your goals.
    Congrats on a great December payout with dividends from a diverse range of companies.
    Best wishes,
    -DL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice job. There will be ups and downs with the dividends but stick with it and it will work out. Sounds like you are right on track. Add me to those who want you to continue sharing your thoughts. Thanks for sharing this time!
    -Brian

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog and hope you consider posting. Congrats on a fantastic month.

    ReplyDelete
  18. just stumbled on your blog. great character guy! nice dividends!

    ReplyDelete