Saturday, March 5, 2016

February Dividend Update



It's February dividend update time! My dividend total for February was $292.68 which is a 9% improvement over last year. I'm a bit disappointed with this result which was largely due to selling my position in KMI after the dividend cut they announced. I took some of the KMI money and bought some shares of AT&T to make up for a bit of that lost high yield but it wasn't nearly enough. In contrast my last quarters income was $336.79 so I've got some making up to do.

I can't blame it all on KMI though, I also did not receive my Kraft Heinz dividend since it paid in January. All of this added up to a slightly weak quarter but it's nothing I'm too worried about. I'm still forecasting strong quarterly growth overall in the future.

I made three purchases last month including PZA which is a tax free bond ETF and my first exposure to bonds. I also grabbed some more shares of Tompkins financial which I forgot to share.

February Purchases
  • Flowers Foods (FLO) - 56 Shares @ $21.44
  • Tompkins Financial (TMP)- 19 Shares @ $55
  • PowerShares National AMT-Free MuniBd ETF (PZA) - 78 @ $25.80
February Dividend Increases
  • AT&T (T) - From .47 to .48 (+2.1 %)
February Dividend Income
  • AT&T (T) - $108
  • WGL Holdings - (WGL) - $30.53
  • General Mills (GIS) - $34.32
  • Clorox (CLX) - $14.63
  • Realty Income (O) - $19.85
  • Proctor & Gamble (PG) - $22.54
  • Peoples United Financial (PBCT) - $37.35
  • Tompkins Financial (TMP) - $19.80
  • Powershares National MuniBond ETF (PZA) - $5.66
Total Dividends February 2016: - $292.68


20 comments:

  1. Captain Dividend

    I like your dividend income, about FLO I watched them for long and now at aroung $17 it is the time to buy them again and average down.

    Keep the snowball rolling

    Sharon - Divorcedff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FLO certainly does look better here than it did when I first bought it. Ohh if I had a time machine I would have waited! :-o

      Delete
  2. Keep that YOY growth rolling forward! Just because it had a small hiccup with KMI doesn't mean that it can't continue to grow without it. Great job on those dividends this last month and it looks like FLO was a great addition to offset KMI.

    -Dividend Monster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya it was a learning experience at the very least. It won't be long before I eclipse that $300 mark again.

      Delete
  3. Really impressive dividend income especially for a February. You kicked my butt, and I'm ok with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time I can beat you in dividend income is pretty awesome. You have been putting up some big numbers since most of 2015.

      Delete
  4. Solid dividend income all around! The upward trending chart is looking great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chart is shaping up nicely, a bit of a hiccup here in my energy names but I'll get back on track soon enough.

      Delete
  5. Keep those dividend piling up and snowballing over time. Congrats on the dividends received, Captain.

    Best wishes
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
  6. CD,

    AWESOME... whoa over $100 in AT&T.. reinvesting then and collecting more shares? Straight killing it. Massive numbers here, I need to catch up to you! Keep at it, you're doing great.

    -Lanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya that's the largest total from a single company I've had yet and that's mostly due to moving my KMI money over to AT&T. I didn't want to but we all know what happened to KMI.

      Delete
  7. Growth is growth no matter what the size! A lot of people are reporting rough numbers due to KMI, but like you said, it's just a small hiccup in the grand scheme of things. Almost $300 is still quite impressive.

    Way to go Captain, looking forward to see the rest of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, after all the trouble with KMI and I still managed a 9% increase. Not too shabby.

      Delete
  8. hey captain, that PZA buy is interesting. I need a fixed income in my portfolio. Do you pay federal tax for holding that thing or only state tax?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only state tax. Actually when I got the dividend in my brokerage it is listed as "tax free dividend". As opposed to "qualified dividend" or "ordinary dividend". Pretty slick. If your lucky you can find some in your own state and not pay any tax at all. It's also nice cause PZA pays monthly.

      Delete
  9. A very nice total no matter how you look at it. Seeing year over year growth just shows that you are headed in the right direction. Nice to see a few names in common paying us in February. Look forward to your next buys and income updates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing all your dividend income history. Do you center your investment strategies for income growth and if so what do you think of Dividend Aristocrats and in particular the Oil Dividend Payers CVX, Xom which are now paying an 8% yield, is it sustainable?

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats on another great month! I see you have lots of AT&T shares. I like AT&T, it's almost like a saving account with good return! :) Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, dividend income of close to $300 a month is great. A 9% YOY is also great.
    Having just started investing for passive income, I know the feeling when dividends hit your account. It sure is great to see money coming in then going out via bills!

    ReplyDelete