Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Recent Buy - Tompkins Financial (TMP)

It that time again where I make my monthly stock purchase. These monthly purchases started out as monthly purchases but are now getting close to every 3 weeks as my dividends help boost me over my $1000 minimum purchase total faster and faster.

This time I have decided to purchase a small bank called Tompkins Financial. Most of you may have never heard of this little bank but it is a dividend champion with 27 years of dividend raises. The company has been around for over 170 years and operates over 65 banks in the north eastern United States.

I was torn between buying more General Mills (GIS) and starting a position in Tompkins Financial (TMP) since both have been on a bit of a downtrend lately. Ultimately I went with TMP simply for more diversity.

A curious thing happened with my order at my brokerage. My purchase price was $44.50 which was actually higher than the daily range of the stock price over the entire trading day. The trading range went from $44.12 - $44.44 which I checked on a few sites. I have no idea how my brokerage managed to execute my order so poorly and even if it did go through shouldn't the daily range been at least $44.50 on the high range ? It wasn't a premarket order or anything like that, just a limit order which I wish I set a tad lower. Not a big deal but I've never seen that before.

Edit: I contacted my broker to find out more about the trade and they cleared things up for me. Turns out that unless the transaction is at least 100 shares it will not be reflected in the daily trading range. Makes me wonder what the daily trading ranges really are in some stocks.

TMP Stock Chart



















TMP Basic Statistics



TMP Dividend Growth

12 comments:

  1. That's really odd about your brokerage Captain, unless you executed in Extra Hours. Thanks for the dividend idea, I'll take a look
    -Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's even more interesting is that at the very least the NYSE should have reported a daily range at least as high as my trade right ? Kinda shady

      Delete
  2. Interesting choice, and one I'll have to look into and learn more about! Good to see you still adding to your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my neck of the woods. I don't know how many more positions I'll be adding really. I don't really like the idea of setting a hard cap on max positions however I don't think I'd ever hold something like 50 stocks. That's too much to keep up with for me.

      Delete
  3. Interesting choice, didn't know about this stock at all. Considering we already own a lot of Canadian banks in our portfolio, we probably won't be adding any bank stocks any time soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not a big name by any means. A small market cap under 700 million puts it off the radar for many investors. Management seems to make smart decisions which even kept them out of trouble during financial crisis. Decent starting yield, decent growth, low p/e ratio and low payout ratio too. :-)

      Delete
  4. Definitely interesting pick. From the looks of it, it seems like a very consistent dividend raiser. Where did you manage finding this neat dividend player?

    As far as your order error goes, I would contact the brokerage and would try to capitalize on their mistake, that is if you set a limit order. Perhaps the least they could is give you a few free trades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I initially found it by running a screen on Dividend and Whisky's site ( http://dividendandwhisky.com/dividend-screener/ ). It's a neat little screener based off of Dave Fish's Dividend Champion list.

      I may try contacting my broker and see why that happened and if they can do anything about it. A free trade would be nice. :-)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like your brokerage was trading against your order for u to pay a higher rate. Thats why I always use limit orders. Cant trust anyone these days especially banks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a limit order actually. I contacted my broker to find out more and they cleared things up for me. Turns out that unless the transaction is at least 100 shares it will not be reflected in the daily trading range.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing the purchase, as it's not the typical DGI buy. However, I've been reading about the possibility of some nice growth in these regional type banks. Thanks for sharing and I wish you the best with this position.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard about this stock. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete