Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Recent Buy - Kinder Morgan Inc. (KMI)

Recently I initiated a new position in Kinder Morgan Inc. (KMI). I purchased 31 shares at a price of $35.40 which was $1097.40 total. There's been some weakness in the stock since July and it looked to be a good time to jump in at this point so I pulled the trigger.

Kinder Morgan, Inc. owns and operates energy transportation and storage assets in the United States and Canada. The company owns an interest in or operates approximately 75,000 miles of pipelines and 180 terminals. Its pipelines transport natural gas, gasoline, crude oil, CO2 and other products, and its terminals store petroleum products and chemicals and handle such products as ethanol, coal, petroleum coke and steel. The company also owns the general partner and approximately 11% of the limited partner interests of Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P., referred to as ‘KMP.

This brings the energy portion of my portfolio up to nearly 20% total which is too much if I was not still accumulating stocks. However I thought that KMI was a good price at these levels so I made the purchase and I will worry about balancing my portfolio in future buys. 

KMI Stock Chart

KMI Basic Statistics

  • Ticker Symbol: KMI
  • PE Ratio: 34.26
  • Yield: 4.7%
  • Dividend Growth 5yr:  10%
  • Payout Ratio: 124%
  • Market cap: $36.76 B
  • Website: http://www.kindermorgan.com

KMI Dividend Growth

9 comments:

  1. Nice buy! I've been looking at KMI and have been very tempted to add some more shares but O&G makes up such a larger percentage of my portfolio that I haven't yet even though I'm still in the accumulation phase. I've been very pleased as an owner thus far and I'm sure you will be too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya KMI has been on my watch list for some time. I've been waiting to pull the trigger and finally did. I used to own KMP but I sold it to reduce my tax complications.

      Delete
  2. Good buy. American oil output will invrease , pipeline and storage is denfintely a growth place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, I look forward to great things from Kinder Morgan in the future.

      Delete
  3. Great pickup Captain! Big fan of KMI and the whole Kinder Morgan family of companies. Thankfully I was able to pick some additional shares back in September as I rode the volatility for some short-term gains and discounted shares. Once I get caught up on posts from this summer I will layout what happened last month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, if you bought in Sept you probably got a pretty good price as well. KMI has gotten some bad press recently and the timing couldn't have been better for us.

      Delete
  4. I think you made a good buy. KMI is high on my last to add more to. I think there's a ton of growth left in this space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AAI, I notice you have about 14% in energy yourself. I'm curious what your target for the sector ultimately is.

      Delete
    2. Your question is about diversification: http://youtu.be/wbjPiYE-F4Y

      Delete